I’ve just spent a few minutes Googling on the words, “NLP career.” It is interesting how many training companies are offering their services from the sales angle of `NLP as a new career.” Nothing new of course, but the question I have is, just how many of these companies are themselves actually making any money? I think not many. Not many at all. Of course, I use the word “company” loosely here as most are only company in name, in actual fact, they are either sole traders or like me, an incorporated limited company for tax and insurance reasons with a staff of one or two family members.
Still, at least once a week I get the email enquiry that takes the form of, “I want to be an NLP practitioner, who should I train with and how do I get clients?” My heart sinks every time. How do I explain to the person that they won’t be making themselves self-employed, but that they will most likely become unemployed.
The difficulty is, that I am one of the few voices that suggests that there is not much of a market or profit in “being an NLP practitioner” as a profession, or as so many NLP companies seem to refer to it, “a career in NLP.”
With so many websites making similar claims, promising a “new and rewarding career” and creating the illusion of their own success (and believe me, for the majority it is an illusion) I can understand why to the naïve observer it may look rather convincing.
To me, all these claims are beginning to sound a lot like the 419 scams.
Each day, I get up to several dozen emails from Nigerian barristers, lawyers, generals, former ministers and religious leaders who all want to make me rich. All I need to do is send them my personal details and then later on send them loads of money.
The themes are consistent and the never ending onslaught of grandiose claims is quite impressive.
Some person, connected to someone important, has something very important that will change my life. But what this [somewhat large] number of persistent individuals have managed to do to the long-term prospects of a large African nation is yet to be seen. I doubt that it will be good. Not at all.
I mean, even if a legitimate opportunity arose, I would be very reluctant to be involved. Wouldn’t you be? If I were Nigerian or a resident of Nigeria I'd be very concerned indeed.
Now, along with the Nigerian mail, I receive a similar volume of crap from NLP companies.
The theme is fairly consistent – some person, connected to someone important has something very important that will change my life; great wealth, or great health, or great happiness, or great dreams and so on.
Basically the message is simple – I’m not aware of it, but actually my life sucks and only through the power of NLP will my life improve. I can be rich, I can have the future that I could only have dreamed of, I can have better relationships, and I just be better. And all I need to do is click here or there, and go to this or that webpage, enter my details, watch the free download, send some money and the process will begin. The 419ers would be proud.
As someone who used to consider himself an NLPer, I find this very concerning indeed.
Your new career in NLP can begin as long as you remind yourself, “When things get difficult, remember: there is never failure, only feedback.” With this kind of logic, how can it possibly go wrong?
So here is a fairly random selection from that Google search (all spelling and grammar are as per original):
- "When you successfully complete this training you will be Certified as an NLP Practitioner and a Certified NLP Coach."
- "Think about it -- you don't have 2 weeks or even 28 days to become a certified NLP Practitioner, so do it in just 7 days!!! Become an NLP Coach today!
- “Make a Difference-Make a Name-Make Money.”
- “This NLP Practitioner has the ability to transform your life. Once you have completed your NLP Diploma you are qualified to apply for a place on the NLP Practitioner.”
- “Can I take an NLP Practitioner Training course in just 7 days? Yes!... Of Course You Can! NOW Get Four Certifications in ONE! Use these technologies to accelerate your career or begin a new one!”
- “Discover Skills that will Transform your World Forever! Change Career, be an NLP Coach.”
- “NLP Practitioner Training is recognised as pre-eminent in the Personal Development field. It can also be the beginning of a very rewarding journey of personal and professional development. Towards the end of the program we cover aspects on setting up an NLP / Coaching practice.”
- “The course will provide practical experience of how you can use NLP in your personal life or career. You will be able to use the skills learnt to work with others assisting change in their lives be it in a new career as NLP Practitioner or enhancing your present career.”
- “If you want to develop an NLP based career, or enhance your income by doing NLP work, this course is for you. Many past attendees are enjoying the commercial benefits of taking this training.”
- “NLP gives you the tools to take on more of the world, and Life Coaching and Hypnotherapy enable you to be a self employed professional.”
- “What can we do for you? A fantastic new career in hypnotherapy and NLP? How would you like to use hypnotherapy and NLP to help others change their lives in 2010? If you have ever helped someone else, either by giving advice or lending a sympathetic ear, then you know how incredibly rewarding that experience can be. Wouldn’t it be nice to get paid for helping others? With our hypnotherapy training – you can!”
- “Here is a cost-effective way to launch your new or enhanced career in NLP, working as a Therapist, a Coach, a Life Coach, a Trainer, a Teacher, an NLP Practitioner.”
- “With NLP Practitioner certification you can develop a new career assisting people to make changes and removing phobias and limiting beliefs) you can also achieve new levels of communication and excellence in your relationships, careers or any other area of your life.”
- “Begin your new career in Life Coaching or Business Coaching and make a great living helping others succeed using the proven coaching technology of NLP…..”
- “Coaching has been named one of the top home businesses of the century. You can enjoy the financial rewards and personal fulfillment of owning your own business while making the world a better place.
- Do you want to learn and embody the skills to create a new life, new beginning and a new career!
- We can help you develop a whole new career helping others through our comprehensive, prestigious and affordable courses in London
- If you’re looking for a change in career, or a way to supplement your current income…Including:
The BIGGEST secret to marketing yourself as an NLP Professional
Why NLP is growing more quickly than ever, and demand for NLP Professionals is at an all-time high!
How to turn your passion into your profession and start your own successful NLP business.
How you can earn a fantastic living as a self-employed full or part-time NLP Professional
The top five ways that new ‘NLPers’ build their business and the 'trade secrets' of the professionals
...And much more about how you can make a very good living from NLP!
- "A qualified and motivated NLP Practitioner can easily charge upwards of £200 per client and make in excess of £50,000 per year"
- “Become a Practicing Professional NLP Coach.
- You will be able to start a new career that you are passionate about. Discover the wonders of being your own boss. Enjoy and embrace the personal satisfaction in starting and running your own Practice. You will experience unlimited personal success and fulfillment from helping others whilst earning a comfortable living all at the same time.”
- “At [….] school of NLP you get so much more than a professional qualification as an NLP Coach or Hypnotherapist, you get much needed support in starting your new business or advancing your current career.”
- “Life Coaching, Hypnotherapy And NLP Careers
- Are you interested in building a new career for yourself that gives a lot to others as well?”
- “Become the Best You Can Be Become Qualifed and Build A Successful Business working from home Seriously change your current lifestyle and income level - Help others create a fabulous prosperous lifestyle while being paid abundantly - Are you ready and able? Begin now…”
- “Looking for a new career as an NLP Trainer?”
- “Whether you wish to pursue NLP as a new career, or simply integrate NLP into your work and home life, we will support your goals 100%.”
Now, at least one dimwit is going to complain about me. I know it. They often do. “There he goes again, that Austin,” they will say, “he’s slagging off NLP again. Damn him!”
Well, no. I’m not actually. My position has not changed – I still think NLP is one of the most useful skill sets around.
It is the behaviour of so many of the practitioners and trainrs of NLP to which I refer.
And others will complain along the lines of, “But we run NLP courses and we never tell people to give up their day jobs.” All I can say to this is great, thanks for that. Really. I only wish more did the same.