Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Submodalities in Language

This was something I posted on NLPWeekly a while ago.  Someone asked about matching/mismatching modalities and submodalities as a possible exercise atpracticeise group:

You may want to consider the submodalities that are expressed in language as well, this is commonly missed, even by many master practitioners I see...

Some people fail to focus in on a concept and see it really clearly.  The concept remains too far away from their understanding, and stays distant and outside of their frame of reference.  By sharpening their observation skills and becoming able to pay attention to the finer details they can find that their world is not quite as black and white as it might appear.

I once had a client arrive, in tears, who stated to me right from the off, "I want to separate myself from the memories of my husband, put them behind me and move forward in my life."  In Magic in Action, Bandler had the lady who "wanted to be able to get some distance from her problem" (or something pretty similar).  It is amazing how precise some people are when you ask them what they want.

Unfortunately the issue of mis-matching remains endemic in the field.

Imagine the following....

Client:  "I want to get some distance from my problem."
NLPer: "OK, now think of a really good time in your life and let's anchor that...."

Now that anchor would be really useful if the thing anchored involved a scenario whereby the client distanced the problem from herself.  But alas, my experience in NLP is that mostly these things go unconsidered.

Client:  "I need to get some clarity."
NLPer: "OK, let's do the swish pattern or the 6 step reframe!"

You get the idea.

Try this - get your submodality list and start noting down every verbal reference that reflects that submodality.

For example, size:

"It blew out of all proportion."
"He is so small minded."
"It's a big problem."

And so on.

Once you listen for them, you will hear them everywhere.

Be well,

Andy Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment