Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Positive Influences

I've been asked a few times recently what have been the positive influences on my work and philosophy, and what things I recommend.  Here are some of those things, people, workshops and books, etc.  This list is in no particular order and is by no means exhaustive.

R.D. Laing.  Basically everything written by R.D. Laing.  I devoured his work in my late teens and his work still influences much of what I do today.

Charles Faulkner.  His work on metaphors of movement is the single biggest influence on my client work. 

Thomas Szasz.  In his early work before his involvement with the CCHR, Szasz presented an excellent argument against the accepted principles and practices of psychiatry.

Frank Farrelly.  I was lucky to have read Frank's book, "Provocative Therapy" before I had ever heard of NLP.  So many NLPers I meet seem to think that Frank Farrelly's PT work evolved out of NLP rather than the other way around.

Nick Kemp.  Nick is the embodiment of Frank's work and has successfully decoded the PT model into a readily teachable format and trainable skill set.

Joseph Riggio's "Mythoself" work.  When I first attended a Mythoself program, my reaction was less than positive.  I think I might have been "the problem child" of the group - I didn't get it.  Then three days later whilst working with a client it "clicked."  I've been an advocate ever since.

Geoff Burch.  Regarding self-employment and Going It Alone, Geoff is a realist, funny and the real deal when it comes to self employment advice.  Buy all of Geoff Burch's books, just do it.

John La Valle.  John La Valle's "Sales and Marketing" workshop was so good I did it twice.

Bandler and Grinder.  Pretty much everything they co-wrote.

Gregory Bateson.  "Steps to an Ecology of Mind" is easily one of the favourite ever books, I think I have read it 4 or 5 times now.

Pretty much everything by Timothy Leary, Robert Anton Wilson, the Subgenius group and John C. Lilly.

Paul McKenna.  McKenna's CD, DVD and book products are consistently of an exceptional standard and it is clear to see why in the UK he is the market leader in hypnotherapy products and training.

Steve and Connirae Andreas.  Pretty much everything they wrote, as well as Connirae and Tamara Andreas', "Core Transformation" work.

V.S. Ramachandran.  Ramachandran's work in neurology is ground breaking, especially with regards to his work in treating phantom limb pain.  Also, on a neurological theme, Oliver Sacks, Harold Klawans and Joseph LeDoux.

Milton Erickson.  I was lucky in that Southampton University used to have a lot of Erickson's "monographs" and transcripts of his small group seminars.  Brilliant.

Aleister Crowley.  I was part of a number of Qabalistic groups for a few years throughout my 20's and studied and practiced pretty much all of Crowley's work, along with Israel Regardie, Dion Fortune and other Golden Dawn writers.  Later I found the work of the "Chaos Magicians" including Peter Carroll and Phil Hine.

Jack Trout and Al Ries.  Their work on marketing and branding is without equal.
 
More to follow….
 

No comments:

Post a Comment