Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Hot weather affects the brain

I am sure that the increase in temperature that accompanies summer creates changes in brain chemistry. In the past week, I have declined more client appointments than in the past year alone. People are often surprised when I decline an appointment with a prospective client - it is as though people expect the right to have an appointment no matter what and that I don’t get to choose.

I used to experience something similar years ago when I worked in Accident and Emergency; obnoxious patients would arrive, verbally abuse or intimidate staff and still expect prompt and courteous treatment. Unfortunately, as NHS employees, we were not privileged at that time to refuse to attend these patients. That was a shame.

These days, things are quite different, and as a self-employed therapist, I can choose not to see a client if I should so decide.

"But I have rights!" one rather aggressive lady shouted at me earlier this week. "And so do I," I told her.

Another person called me yesterday to complain about another therapist. The therapist she was complaining about I neither knew nor had ever heard of, but that didn’t matter to this caller.I want to know what you are going to do about it! she demanded.

"Absolutely bugger all." I told her before hanging up.

The hot weather also creates another phenomenon of the last minute cancellation. This rarely happens in the winter season, but in the warmer weather it increases noticeably. Two main reasons for this - one is that often in between making the appointment and attending the appointment, the person has perked up a bit in the sunshine. No bad thing there.

The other reason is that it seems too much of a nice day to be coming for therapy, so I going to go down the beach instead, can we reschedule?

"No we can’t" is the exact answer I gave this caller, who was telephoning just 10 minutes before her appointment. "Well, that is not a very caring attitude" she told me.

"That is right" I told her, wishing her a pleasant day at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment